Binge Eating Counselling Wolverhampton
Binge Eating Counselling & Therapy in Wolverhampton, West Midlands
Binge eating problems involve regularly eating large portions of food all at once and usually very quickly until you feel uncomfortably full or even bloated. It is not unusual to then have feelings of guilt immediately following a binge eating episode and it is considered by some schools of thought as a form of self-harm.
Binge sessions are often planned in advance and the person may buy even “special” binge foods such as cakes, or high carbohyrdate containing foods. Binge eating problems can affect both men and women and it most frequently starts in the late teens or early 20s.
Symptoms of Binge Eating
The main symptoms associated with binge eating frequently include:
- Eating large amounts of food
- Eating very fast during a binge
- Eating until you feel uncomfortably full
- Eating when you’re not hungry
- Eating alone or secretly
- Feeling depressed, guilty, ashamed or even disgusted after binge eating
Signs of Binge Eating Problems in Others
The following sign might indicate that someone you know has an binge eating problem:
- Eating a lot of food, very fast
- Actively hiding how much they are eating
- Creating food stores
- Putting on weight, although this is not always associated with binge eating
Potential Causes of Binge Eating
There are no definitive ’causes’ of binge eating or other eating issues, however, you may be more likely to develop binge eating problems if:
- A member of your family has a history of eating disorders, depression, or alcohol abuse or drug addiction
- You have experienced strong criticism of your eating habits, body shape or weight
- You are overly concerned with being slim, particularly if you also feel pressure from society or your job
- You have anxiety, low self-esteem, an obsessive personality or are a perfectionist
- You have experienced sexual abuse
Help for Binge Eating Problems
If you think you may have binge eating problem we advise that you consult your GP in the first instance and before seeking out psychological help
With the right treatment and support, most people recover from binge eating problems, but it does take time, effort and a desire to overcome the problem in order to be successful.
Learn How to Thrive & Overcome Binge Eating
If you want to learn the tools, techniques and coping skills to overcome Binge Eating problems then you should consider following the Thrive Programme with Paul here at Tranceform Psychology.
Thrive is an evidence-based training programme that uses applied psychology and CBT principles to help you understand and then change any unhelpful thinking styles and limiting beliefs that have an adverse impact on your symptoms.
Over the course of ten one-hourly sessions you will learn about and develop personal insight into how your core beliefs have either helped or hindered you over your life course and then how to use a range of proven scientific methods to bring about changes which directly impact on your experience and the way that you feel.
Watch the Thrive Video
FREE Initial Consultations
We offer all prospective clients a FREE initial assessment to chat about your Binge Eating problems. During this 50 minute consultation we will discuss the various options that are available to you and make a considered recommendation based on your individual personal circumstances.
At TranceForm we believe that therapy & coaching should be a collaboration between therapist and client so it’s very important to be able to meet PRIOR to agreeing any kind of help. Our policy is to help people make a fully balanced & considered decision about undertaking therapy with us, including both the financial and personal implications.
Thinking Errors Associated with Binge Eating
Eating problems may be made even worse by any number of common thinking errors that people tend to ‘suffer’.
You can find out more about each of these ‘thinking errors’ by clicking on the links below:-
- Catastrophising – Making mountains out of molehills
- All or Nothing Thinking – Ignoring the middle-ground
- Fortune Telling – Trying to predict the future
- Mind Reading – I know what you’re thinking!
- Emotional Reasoning – Feelings aren’t facts
- Overgeneralising – Always, Never and Everybody
- Labelling – Successful / Failure
- Imperative Thinking – I need to, I have to and I must
- Confirmation Bias – He didn’t mean I was nice because I know I’m not
- Processing Positive Experiences – I didn’t really deserve that Prize
- Low Frustration Tolerance – It’s too hard I can’t stand it
- Personalisation – it’s always my fault when things go wrong
Phrases that may have brought you to this page:
Binge Eating Therapy Wolverhampton, Therapy for Binge Eating in Wolverhampton, Binge Eating Counselling Wolverhampton, Counselling for Binge Eating in Wolverhampton, Binge-Purge Problems.
Contact Tranceform Psychology Wolverhampton
Don't hesitate to get in touch with us to find out how Tranceform could help you to achieve your goals and aspirations or overcome problems. We offer ALL prospective clients a FREE initial consultation to discuss all the options available to you.