It is more widely known as the Fear of Being Sick, Fear of Vomiting or Vomit Phobia
Although Emetophobia seems to be more prevalent in females, it certainly does affect males and we have helped a number here in our clinic.
But there is very good news for after more than 25 years of working and understanding the problem of literally thousands of sufferers, a definitive way of totally overcoming your fear of vomiting is finally available.
Rob Kelly, creator and author of the Thrive Programme also carried out probably the most comprehensive Research Survey that has ever been performed on Emetophobia and the results that have been achieved with this very specific programme have been truly remarkable.
84.7% of sufferers found that their Symptoms went from having a severe and significant impact on their daily lives to having “little or no impact” at all, with the remaining 15.3% of sufferers also reporting that their symptoms were still reduced to a “modest” level of impact.
- Fear of Being Sick oneself
- Fear of being sick in public
- Fear of seeing others be sick
- Fear of the sound of someone being sick
- Fear of people laughing at you for being sick
- Fear of making a fool of yourself in public
In fact Emetophobia can present itself in a whole host of different ways, but whichever form of Emetophobia you happen to suffer with, this specially developed, research-backed & evidence based psychological training programme can help you like it has helped hundreds of sufferers to date.
Read about Emetophobia Symptoms here.
The majority of Emetophobia sufferers will almost certainly be able to ‘pin-point’ a time in their lives when they were sick, and that it was ‘so bad’ that it has subsequently developed into this phobia.
Whilst it is understandable that people want to be able to identify a certain event that ‘created’ their phobia, there is very little evidence to support this notion. Most people who have a phobia of flying in a plane have never been involved in a plane crash!
Having worked with a large number of Emetophobia sufferers here in Wolverhampton there are a number of common ‘themes’ that we see that are more related to the development of this phobia, including the following observations:
- Sufferers always have a very high ‘desire for control’ and may even have associated OCD problems
- They have a ‘catastrophic’ thinking style, often learnt from a catastrophic parent
- They have a large number of ‘safety behaviours’ such as frequent hand washing, avoiding alcohol and checking sell-by-dates on food
- They exhibit a high degree of ‘learned helplessness’ and believe that they can never overcome this problem
The most effective way of overcoming Emetophobia is by following the Thrive Programme here at our clinic.
Following the Programme with Paul is challenging and it will certainly make you re-consider many of the things that you believe to be absolutely TRUE (but are in fact YOUR unique perception).
Evidence shows, however, that IF you are prepared to follow the course and put in 100% effort, then the chances of you successfully overcoming Emetophobia are extremely good.
Read about our Emetophobia Treatment here.
Following the Emetophobia Course
The Emetophobia course takes place over a number of sessions which will be dictated by the severity of your particular Emetophobia – for many people this can be 8 sessions, but just as many sufferers seem to require a lengthier time frame, often up to 10 sessions.
The process involves:
- Using a number of diagnostic tools to evaluate the “Severity” of your symptoms
- Lots of “homework” – involving both “practical” as well as “intellectual” exercises
- Recording thoughts & Feelings
- Recognising and changing your ‘safety behaviours‘
- Listening to and evaluating your own “internal dialogue”
- Systematically challenging certain facets of your “belief systems”
- Learning about your particular “personality type”
- Understanding the “thinking styles” that your “personality types” tend to exhibit
- Learning specific psychological tools that enable you to create much more positive “evaluations”
And much, much more!
How Much Does the Emetophobia Course Cost?
The CLB/Thrive Programme for Emetophobia is only available as a complete course of 10 sessions costing £795.
You can Pay for your 10 session Emetophobia Course on our FEES page here.
FREE Initial Consultations for Emetophobia
We offer all prospective clients a FREE initial assessment to chat about your Emetophobia.
During this 50 minute consultation we will discuss the various options that are available to you and make a considered recommendation based on your individual personal circumstances.
At TranceForm we believe that therapy & coaching should be a collaboration between therapist and client so it’s very important to be able to meet PRIOR to agreeing any kind of help. Our policy is to help people make a fully balanced & considered decision about undertaking therapy with us, including both the financial and personal implications.
Thinking Errors Associated with Emetophobia
Emetophobia problems may be exacerbated by any number of common thinking errors that people tend to ‘suffer’.
You can find out more about each of these by clicking on the links below:-
- Catastrophising – Making mountains out of molehills
- All or Nothing Thinking – Ignoring the middle-ground
- Fortune Telling – Trying to predict the future
- Mind Reading – I know what you’re thinking!
- Emotional Reasoning – Feelings aren’t facts
- Overgeneralising – Always, Never and Everybody
- Labelling – Successful / Failure
- Imperative Thinking – I need to, I have to and I must
- Confirmation Bias – He didn’t mean I was good because I know I’m not
- Processing Positive Experiences – I didn’t really deserve that Nobel Prize
- Low Frustration Tolerance – It’s too hard I can’t stand it / I can take it I’m worth it
- Personalisation – it’s always my fault when things go wrong
Terms Associated with Emetophobia
Emetophobia is also known as:
Fear of Vomiting, Fear of Vomit, Vomit Phobia, Fear of Sick, Fear of Being Sick, Sick Phobia & Sickness Phobia
“I wouldn’t Leave the House”
Before I met Paul I was in a bad place, I wouldn’t leave my house or do anything because I lacked confidence and also because of my emetophobia.
The thrive programme has made me realise how to control my thoughts and made me realise how I was the one creating the fear, not only has it helped me overcome my fear but also its changed me as a person.
I’ve quit my job and I’m now pursuing a career as a gardener, which I want, this is because Paul and the programme have given me a burst of confidence.
It’s helped open my eyes to many things and not only just my fear. I’m now able to manage my thinking and control it. I would recommend this programme to everyone; even those without phobias etc.
It really has opened my eyes to a new life, a better me.
Thank you Paul and make sure you keep in touch
“I Thought About Being Sick EVERY Day”
When I met Paul I was feeling very low.
I have had ‘Emetophobia’ for around 20 years and I’d always thought that was just the way my life would be.
I thought about sick (being sick, feeling sick, others being sick) all day, every day and carried out many safety behaviours, thinking I was preventing myself from catching a bug or becoming sick.
I didn’t let my phobia ruin my life or stop me from doing anything I really wanted to do but it certainly ruled my life and had a big part to play in the choices I made.
When I felt nauseous (which was often a daily occurrence) it would send me into a panic attack, worrying, overthinking and shaking in anxiety.
I thought I was a positive person – I had re-trained and secured my dream job and lost weight both of which I thought would change my life but having achieved both I realised they didn’t.
Call me on 07434-776125
Contact Tranceform Psychology
Don't hesitate to get in touch with us to find out how Tranceform could help you to achieve your goals and aspirations or overcome problems. We offer ALL prospective clients a FREE initial consultation to discuss all the options available to you.