Are You Living in Fear of Being Sick All the Time?
Unlike many other phobias which can, to a certain extent, be avoided by simply not going near the *”phobic object”, Emetophobia is rather unique as it leads the sufferer to be in fear of being sick all the time.
(*Think about it, if you have a fear of Flying and only get on a plane once a year, avoidance is pretty easy)
This is because the majority of people who suffer with the fear of being sick, worry about:
- Being Sick themselves
- Being sick in public
- Seeing other people be sick
- Feeling Sick
- Catching a “sickness bug”
As you can imagine, this means that ANY time they are around other people, they are constantly thinking about the fear of being sick all the time, and let’s face it, we spend nearly 100% of our lives around other people!
Behaviours Associated with the Fear of Being Sick All the Time
This constant fear of being sick all the time will often develop into a full blown OCD with all of its associated “avoidance” or “safety behaviours”, such as:
- Staying away from friends who have young children
- Avoiding anybody who has any kind of “sickness”
- Insisting on cooking their food themselves to avoid the possibility of food poisoning
- Completely avoiding alcohol
- Avoiding gatherings where alcohol is consumed (parties, weddings, etc.)
Once you develop this fear of being sick all of the time, it can become extremely tiring and all consuming, often to the point where the sufferer will:
- Avoid going out at all
- Stop going to work
- Stop socialising with people altogether
It’s not difficult to see how being in fear of being sick all the time could have very dramatic consequences for the person suffering including an almost total withdrawal from interaction with other people, and even the development of a Social Anxiety Disorder.
Fear of Being Sick Treatment
Fortunately there is a very effective programme that can help you to overcome the fear of being sick all the time called the Thrive Programme.
Thrive is a course of Applied Psychological principles that can help you to systematically reduce, or even eradicate, the Fear of Being sick altogether.
The programme is structured to help you to:
- Understand the principle that Emotional responses are “created” by certain thoughts or thought patterns
- That certain “belief systems” (the way that we make sense of the World around us) determine the types of thoughts that we “have”
- Identify your own specific and particular character traits that are responsible for “supporting” the Fear of Being sick
- Develop better and more effective “thought management techniques” that leads to better control of “emotional responses”
All of these principle can help you to significantly reduce YOUR Emetophobia and the Anxiety that is associated with it.
No Longer Offering Thrive
Tranceform Psychology no longer offer the "Thrive Programme" to clients.
Our own Tranceformental CBT programme represents a more academically rigorous programme based on clinically proven CBT which is combined with Attribution Theory, Social Psychology and Self-Determination Theory principles.
Overcome Your Problems with our CBT Course
Our 10 session course of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is clinically proven to be effective across a range of different psychological problems.
Using an online learning platform, it is available with 2, 5 or 10 sessions of clinical support either face-to-face in the Wombourne offices, or using Zoom video facilities.
It can also be taken as a self help CBT course that will teach you the fundamental tools and techniques used throughout the mental health profession.