Are You Living in Fear of Being Sick All the Time?
Unlike many other phobias which can, to a certain extent, be avoided by simply not going near the *”phobic object”, Emetophobia is rather unique as it leads the sufferer to be in fear of being sick all the time.
(*Think about it, if you’re afraid of Flying and only get on a plane once a year, avoidance is pretty easy)
This is because the majority of people who suffer with the fear of being sick, worry about:
- Being Sick themselves
- Being sick in public
- Seeing other people be sick
- Feeling Sick
- Catching a “sickness bug”
As you can imagine, this means that ANY time they are around other people, they are constantly thinking about the fear of being sick all the time, and let’s face it, we spend nearly 100% of our lives around other people!
Behaviours Associated with the Fear of Being Sick All the Time
- Staying away from friends who have young children
- Avoiding anybody who has any kind of “sickness”
- Insisting on cooking their food themselves to avoid the possibility of food poisoning
- Completely avoiding alcohol
- Avoiding gatherings where alcohol is consumed (parties, weddings, etc.)
Once you develop this fear of being sick all of the time, it can become extremely tiring and all consuming, often to the point where the sufferer will:
- Avoid going out at all
- Stop going to work
- Stop socialising with people altogether
It’s not difficult to see how being in fear of being sick all the time could have very dramatic consequences for the person suffering including an almost total withdrawal from interaction with other people, and even the development of a Social Anxiety Disorder.
Fear of Being Sick Treatment
Fortunately there is a very effective programme that can help you to overcome the fear of being sick all the time called the Thrive Programme.
Thrive is a course of Applied Psychological principles that can help you to systematically reduce, or even eradicate, the Fear of Being sick altogether.
The programme is structured to help you to:
- Understand the principle that Emotional responses are “created” by certain thoughts or thought patterns
- That certain “belief systems” (the way that we make sense of the World around us) determine the types of thoughts that we “have”
- Identify your own specific and particular character traits that are responsible for “supporting” the Fear of Being sick
- Develop better and more effective “thought management techniques” that leads to better control of “emotional responses”
All of these principle can help you to significantly reduce YOUR Emetophobia and the Anxiety that is associated with it.
FREE Initial Consultations
We offer all prospective clients a FREE initial assessment to chat about your fear of being sick all the time. During this 50 minute consultation we will discuss the various options that are available to you and make a considered recommendation based on your individual personal circumstances. At TranceForm we believe that therapy & counselling should be a collaboration between therapist and client so it’s very important to be able to meet PRIOR to agreeing any kind of help. Our policy is to help people make a fully balanced & considered decision about undertaking work with us, including both the financial and personal implications.