Locus of Control – A Core Limiting Belief
Locus of Control – What It Is & How It Impacts Your Life
Although the ‘Locus of Control‘ sounds rather technical, it is in fact a rather straightforward concept.
It is a ‘measure’ of how much ‘power’ (or influence) you believe you have over the path of your life, or the outcomes in your life.
Your Locus of Control is either ‘internal’, ‘external’ or at some point in between the these two extremes.
If you have in ‘external’ Locus of Control then you will tend to believe that:
Life is something that HAPPENS to you over which you have little ability to control or change things
If you have an ‘internal’ Locus of Control you will tend to believe that:
Life is what you MAKE IT and that you decide the path of your life and are able to control and change things
What research shows is that people who have an internal Locus of Control tend to be happier, more successful and less likely to suffer from psychosomatic problems.
You can read much more about the Locus of Control and Rotter’s original research here.
Learn How To Develop a More ‘Internal’ Perspective
It doesn’t really matter how ‘external’ your LOC is at the moment, they key point is that, as is the case with the other core limiting beliefs, you CAN learn how to change your Locus of Control using the proven tools and techniques that we deliver in the Changing Limiting Beliefs Programme, and by doing so, you can take control of aspects of your life that you previously didn’t believe you could!
Internal versus External Beliefs
- I failed my driving test because I made an error
- I can beat my phobia of flying if I try hard enough
- Other people’s opinions are valid but do not affect my life
- If I wanted to run a marathon and trained enough I could do it
- Things that happened to me in the past are gone and have no influence now
- I failed my driving test because the examiner didn’t like me
- Phobias can never be changed, just learnt to live with
- Other people’s opinions significantly affect my life
- I could never run a marathon, I’d never get fit enough
- Things that happened to me in the past continue to dominate my life everday
Free Initial Consultations
We offer FREE initial consultations to prospective clients for problems.
Lasting about 50 minutes or so, these free consultations are designed to allow both you and ourselves to get to understand your particular problem, how it might be impacting on your life, and what possible solutions there are that might help you.
We believe in the value of the therapeutic ‘relationship’ and so this consultation serves the purpose of both informing you about our services as well as getting some idea of who your therapist might be.
Contact Tranceform Psychology Wolverhampton
Don't hesitate to get in touch with us to find out how Tranceform could help you to achieve your goals and aspirations or overcome problems. We offer ALL prospective clients a FREE initial consultation to discuss all the options available to you.