Mental Health Counselling for Binge Eating in Wolverhampton & Online
Binge eating problems involve regularly eating large portions of food all at once and usually very quickly until you feel uncomfortably full or even bloated. It is not unusual to then have feelings of guilt immediately following a binge eating episode and it is considered by some schools of thought as a form of self-harm.
Binge sessions are often planned in advance and the person may buy even “special” binge foods such as cakes, or high carbohyrdate containing foods. Binge eating problems can affect both men and women and it most frequently starts in the late teens or early 20s.
Symptoms of Binge Eating
The main symptoms associated with binge eating frequently include:
- Eating large amounts of food
- Eating very fast during a binge
- Eating until you feel uncomfortably full
- Eating when you’re not hungry
- Eating alone or secretly
- Feeling depressed, guilty, ashamed or even disgusted after binge eating
Signs of Binge Eating Problems in Others
The following sign might indicate that someone you know has an binge eating problem:
- Eating a lot of food, very fast
- Actively hiding how much they are eating
- Creating food stores
- Putting on weight, although this is not always associated with binge eating
Potential Causes of Binge Eating
There are no definitive ’causes’ of binge eating or other eating issues, however, you may be more likely to develop binge eating problems if:
- A member of your family has a history of eating disorders, depression, or alcohol abuse or drug addiction
- You have experienced strong criticism of your eating habits, body shape or weight
- You are overly concerned with being slim, particularly if you also feel pressure from society or your job
- You have anxiety, low self-esteem, an obsessive personality or are a perfectionist
- You have experienced sexual abuse
Help for Binge Eating Problems
If you think you may have binge eating problem we advise that you consult your GP in the first instance and before seeking out psychological help
With the right treatment and support, most people recover from binge eating problems, but it does take time, effort and a desire to overcome the problem in order to be successful.
Transform Your Thinking & Overcome Binge Eating
If you’re committed to overcoming your binge eating problems then we highly recommend following our Advanced Tranceformental CBT programme with Paul. Tranceformental CBT is available as Online Therapy if required.
The Tranceformental programme is a highly successful & pragmatic mental health counselling course, run over 10 sessions, that will teach you everything you need to know to understand your problem, identify how unhelpful thinking and limiting beliefs might be reinforcing the issue, and then show you how to make any changes to your unhelpful thinking styles or maladaptive safety behaviours that you may have developed as part of your coping strategies.
Our Tranceformental CBT programme is an evidence-based, research supported approach used by mental health practitioners around the World.
Alternative Therapy Options for Binge Eating
Although our preferred form of mental health counselling for binge eating is Tranceformental CBT we also offer alternative psychotherapies for those who might prefer a different approach.
- Psychodynamic therapy which focuses more on emotional problems and relies on the Therapeutic Relationship to bring about change.
- General Counselling which is less structured but still provides a safe and non-judgmental environment to discuss issues which is therapeutic in its own right.
- Hypnotherapy is an alternative form of therapy that can be applied to a very wide range of problems and is available with Joan.
Initial Consultations for Binge Eating
We offer all prospective clients an initial consultation to discuss your binge eating problems prior to commencing any treatment plans.
The consultation is free and last around 50 minutes.
During this consultation we will discuss the various options that are available to you and make a considered recommendation based on your individual personal circumstances.
Initial consultations are also available as part of our online counselling service.
At TranceForm Psychology we recognise the importance of the therapy relationship in helping people to bring about effective change, so its important to be able to ‘meet’ to discuss our change programmes BEFORE proceeding.
Our policy is to help people make a fully balanced & considered decision about undertaking work with us, including both the financial and personal implications.
For most mental health problems we recommend following our 10 session Tranceformental CBT Programme (an advanced version of empirically established cognitive behavioural therapy) to overcome a wide range of mental health and behavioural problems.
CBT is a proven, evidence-based form of mental health counselling for developing a fundamental understanding of the dynamics of your problem, but also for learning new coping skills and strategies for sustainable change over your life.
The full course costs £795 which you can pay for on our fees page.
Tranceformental CBT is available On-line as well as a one-to-one format in the clinic.
Visit Online Counselling for more details.
Do You Have a 'Mental Illness'?
Why not try out these mental health quizzes to see if you have the symptoms of Depression or Anxiety.
These two tests are used throughout the mental health profession as indicators of mental illness.
NOTE: These quizzes do NOT diagnose mental illness, only that you have associated symptoms.
Contact Joan Lee D. Hyp.
I specialise in the following therapies:
I also offer a complete programme which combines mindfulness, mediation and hypnotherapy-
Call Joan on: 07434 776504