The Emetophobia Quiz for Assessing Symptom Severity.
This Emetophobia quiz is used to determine the “degree of severity” of Emetophobia (also widely known as the Fear of Vomiting or the Fear of being sick) across three key domains of human experience specifically in relation to:
- The management of cognition regarding being sick.
- The deployment of avoidance and safety behaviours intended to keep the sufferer ‘safe’.
- The degree of social anxiety associated with having Emetophobia or behaving ‘phobically’ in public.
In almost all cases of Emetophobia, they key to overcoming the problem is in better management of these three factors.
(This quiz was originally developed by Rob Kelly as part of the ‘Thrive Programme’).
The Emetophobia Quiz
The Emetophobia quiz contains 30 questions falling under three domains of thinking or behaviour, each category representing one of the principal thinking or behaviour “modes” associated with the symptoms of Emetophobia.
It is also useful for gauging Emetophobia symptoms both before and after the treatment sessions and can be used to assess the degree of improvement made over the course of any intervention.
Assess Your Emetophobia Here
Simply read through these 30 questions, giving yourself ONE point for each answer that you “Agree” with.
Bear in mind that the emetophobia quiz assumes that you suffer from emetophobia in the first place and the score is an indication of how “severe” your specific phobia is.
In simple terms a score of zero would indicate that your phobia has almost no impact on your life, whilst a score of 30 indicates that it has a very large impact on you.
Also, please be aware that any “self-administered” psychological test is highly subjective and the results will reflect your own individual beliefs, values and current life context.
Anxiety and Fearful Cognition
- I feel very anxious at the thought of being sick
- I often experience physical symptoms (such as nausea, racing heart rate, sweating) at the thought or mention of vomiting
- I could not cope with being sick
- I have experienced Emetophobia related panic attacks
- I am preoccupied by thoughts of being sick
- I worry that I will be really ill if I am sick
- I worry about other people being sick
- I worry that if I am sick I will die
- I feel anxious whenever I hear or see the words ‘sick’ or ‘vomit’
- I worry that I will completely lose control if I vomit
Avoidance and Safety Seeking Behaviours Specific to Emetophobia
- I tend to avoid eating out at restaurants or other people’s houses
- I avoid taking medication that could cause sickness
- I avoid anybody who has been unwell in the last few days
- I tend not to go to pubs and clubs for fear of drunk people throwing up
- I tend not to travel by one or more of: car, boat, train, bus or plane, for fear of vomiting or catching a vomiting bug
- I maintain very high standards of personal and household hygiene
- I avoid drinking alcohol or eating specific foods for fear of sickness
- I avoid going near people that could be unwell
- I take ‘stomach settlers’, such as drinking mint tea
- When preparing food I like to double check the sell by date and make sure everything is thoroughly cooked
Social Anxiety in Relation to Emetophobia
- I haven’t told other people about my Emetophobia
- Vomiting in front of others worries me more than vomiting in private
- I think that others would be disgusted if I were to throw up in public
- I worry about what my friends or family might think of me for having Emetophobia
- I fear that other people might not want to know me if I were to throw up in front of them
- Whenever I feel anxious, I try to hide it from others
- I worry that my friends and family might talk about my Emetophobia behind my back
- I worry that being sick would make me look repulsive to others
- I fear getting into relationships, due to potentially having to reveal or explain my Emetophobia to a new partner
- I worry that other people might be annoyed if I were to throw up in front of them
Psychological Help for Emetophobia
Although it may seem that getting over Emetophobia is ‘impossible’, people CAN and DO overcome this problem all of the time.
It does not matter how highly you scored on the Emetophobia quiz, you do not have to live with this problem forever.
Paul has expert knowledge and many years of helping Emetophobia sufferers to overcome the problem. It requires hard work, dedication and a preparedness to challenge some of the core beliefs that keep Emetophobia ‘alive’, but it CAN be done!
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Emetophobia
If your score highly on the Emetophobia quiz and are committed to overcoming your fear of vomiting then we highly recommend following our Tranceformental CBT 10 session programme.
Our Tranceformental programme is a highly successful & pragmatic mental health counselling course, run over 10 sessions, that will teach you everything you need to know to understand your problem, identify how unhelpful thinking and limiting beliefs might be reinforcing the issue, and then show you how to make any changes to your unhelpful thinking styles or maladaptive safety behaviours that you may have developed as part of your coping strategies.
The programme is also available as an online self-help CBT programme.
Tranceformental CBT programme is an evidence-based, research supported approach used by mental health practitioners around the World.
Teach Yourself CBT and Overcome Your Emetophobia for only £149!
Our online CBT course has been designed to teach you the fundamental tools and techniques of clinically proven Cognitive Behavioural Therapy without having to see a therapist.
Structured over TEN, in-depth modules, this self-managed course will teach you everything you need to know to change the way you think about and experience your mental health problems without having to visit a therapist.
Click Self-Help CBT to find out more.
Free Initial Consultations To Discuss Your Emetophobia Quiz Results
We offer all prospective clients a FREE initial consultation to discuss your Emetophobia Quiz Results prior to commencing any treatment plans.
The consultation is free and lasts around 50 minutes.
During this consultation we will discuss the various therapy options that are available to you and make a considered recommendation based on your individual personal circumstances.
Initial consultations are also available as part of our online therapy service.
At Tranceform Psychology we recognise the importance of the therapeutic relationship in helping people to bring about effective change, so its important to be able to ‘meet’ to discuss any therapy treatments BEFORE proceeding.
Our policy is to help people make a fully balanced & considered decision about undertaking work with us, including both the financial and personal implications.
Overcome Your Mental Health difficulties with Our Online CBT Programme - From Only £299!
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is clinically proven to be effective for a range of mental health problems and can be carried out in the comfort of your own home.
Structured over TEN, in-depth modules, our advanced CBT course will teach you everything you need to know to change the way you think about and experience your problems without having to spend a fortune.
The course is available with 2, 5 or 10 sessions of clinical support in-clinic or using Zoom.
Click Tranceformental CBT to find out more.
Also available as a self-directed course that you manage yourself without interacting with a therapist for only £149.