Emetophobia Questionnaire to Determine Symptom Severity.
In order to determine the “degree of severity” of Emetophobia (also widely known as the Fear of Vomiting or the fear of being sick) experienced by any individual, Rob Kelly (Thrive Programme) developed the Emetophobia Severity Scale (ESS) or the ‘Emetophobia Questionnaire’.
There are 30 questions falling under three domains of thinking or behaviour, each category representing one of the principal thinking or behaviour “modes” associated with the symptoms of Emetophobia.
The Emetophobia Questionnaire is also useful for gauging Emetophobia symptoms both before and after the treatment sessions.
Assess Your Emetophobia Here
Simply read through these 30 questions, giving yourself ONE point for each answer that you “Agree” with.
Bear in mind that this emetophobia questionnaire assumes that you suffer from emetophobia in the first place and the score is an indication of how “severe” your specific phobia is.
In simple terms a score of zero would indicate that your phobia has almost no impact on your life, whilst a score of 30 indicates that it has a very large impact on you.
Also, please be aware that any “self-administered” psychological test will almost certainly produce slightly inaccurate results as a result of our tendencies to be less than “honest” with ourselves!
Anxiety and Fearful Cognition
- I feel very anxious at the thought of being sick
- I often experience physical symptoms (such as nausea, racing heart rate, sweating) at the thought or mention of vomiting
- I could not cope with being sick
- I have experienced Emetophobia related panic attacks
- I am preoccupied by thoughts of being sick
- I worry that I will be really ill if I am sick
- I worry about other people being sick
- I worry that if I am sick I will die
- I feel anxious whenever I hear or see the words ‘sick’ or ‘vomit’
- I worry that I will completely lose control if I vomit
Avoidance and Safety Seeking Behaviours Specific to Emetophobia
- I tend to avoid eating out at restaurants or other people’s houses
- I avoid taking medication that could cause sickness
- I would terminate a pregnancy to avoid morning sickness
- I tend not to go to pubs and clubs for fear of drunk people throwing up
- I tend not to travel by one or more of: car, boat, train, bus or plane, for fear of vomiting or catching a vomiting bug
- I maintain very high standards of personal and household hygiene
- I avoid drinking alcohol or eating specific foods for fear of sickness
- I avoid going near people that could be unwell
- I take ‘stomach settlers’, such as drinking mint tea
- When preparing food I like to double check the sell by date and make sure everything is thoroughly cooked
Social Anxiety in Relation to Emetophobia
- I haven’t told other people about my Emetophobia
- Vomiting in front of others worries me more than vomiting in private
- I think that others would be disgusted if I were to throw up in public
- I worry about what my friends or family might think of me for having Emetophobia
- I fear that other people might not want to know me if I were to throw up in front of them
- Whenever I feel anxious, I try to hide it from others
- I worry that my friends and family might talk about my Emetophobia behind my back
- I worry that being sick would make me look unladylike or repulsive
- I fear getting into relationships, due to potentially having to reveal or explain my Emetophobia to my new partner
- I worry that other people might be annoyed if I were to throw up in front of them
Transform Your Thinking & Overcome Emetophobia
If you’re committed to overcoming your emetophobia problems then we highly recommend following our Advanced Tranceformental CBT programme with Paul. Tranceformental CBT is available as Online Therapy if required.
The Tranceformental programme is a highly successful & pragmatic mental health counselling course, run over 10 sessions, that will teach you everything you need to know to understand your problem, identify how unhelpful thinking and limiting beliefs might be reinforcing the issue, and then show you how to make any changes to your unhelpful thinking styles or maladaptive safety behaviours that you may have developed as part of your coping strategies.
Our Tranceformental CBT programme is an evidence-based, research supported approach used by mental health practitioners around the World.
Free Initial Consultations
We offer all prospective clients an initial consultation to discuss the results of the emetophobia questionnaire prior to commencing any counselling.
The consultation is free and lasts around 50 minutes.
During this consultation we will discuss the various types of psychological therapy that are available to you and make a considered recommendation based on your individual personal circumstances.
Initial consultations are also available as part of our online counselling service.
At Tranceform Psychology we emphasise the importance of the therapy relationship in helping people to bring about effective change, so its important to be able to ‘meet’ to discuss our change programmes BEFORE proceeding.
Our policy is to help people make a fully balanced & considered decision about undertaking mental health work with us, including both the financial and personal implications.
Buy Our Self-Help Book
The Restrictive Realities of Belief is Paul's recently authored self-help book containing everything you need to know about how mental health problems are 'realised' through the socio-cultural beliefs that we acquire over our lifetimes and what you can do to bring about effective change.
You can read a synopsis of what this book is all about on this page:
It is currently available as a 307 page A4 PDF file for just £19.99 which you can purchase here using PayPal. Your copy of the book will be sent by e-mail.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is a proven, evidence-based form of mental health counselling for developing a fundamental understanding of the dynamics of your problem, but also for learning new coping skills and strategies for sustainable change over your life.
The full course costs £795 which you can pay for on our fees page.
Tranceformental CBT is available On-line as well as a one-to-one format in the clinic.
Visit Online Counselling for more details.