Overthinking Counselling Wolverhampton
Overthinking Counselling in Wolverhampton, West Midlands
Overthinking is also known as ‘brooding’, ‘ruminating’ or sometimes ‘obsessing’ and in almost all cases that we have encountered is an attempt to ‘be in control’ of events or circumstances through the use of deeply analytical thinking.
In some respects it can also be considered as a ‘safety behaviour‘ because the main purpose of overthinking is to understand ALL of the possible variable in intricate detail so that you will be able to anticipate all of the possible negative outcomes and ‘be safer’.
Overthinking Assessment Test
When following the Thrive Programme here with us at Tranceform we use a number of assessments to determine if you have an overthinking style. The number of ‘YES’ responses you have to the following ten questions indicates (roughly) how much overthinking you do:
- Do you frequently find yourself thinking and worrying about something?
- Do you find it hard to sleep at night due to thoughts running through your mind?
- Do you focus on maintaining routine and order in your life?
- Are you fastidious about washing your hands every time you go to the toilet?
- Do you like to be really organised and make lists (of lists)?
- Does everything have to be ‘in the right place’?
- If you have a hobby do you tend to be very committed to it?
- Would sharing your friends toothbrush be ‘wrong’?
- Do you feel anxious if you are not ‘on top’ of everything?
- Do you take a long time to consider all the options before making any kind of decision?
(Adapted from ‘The Brooding Style’, The Thrive Programme Workbook, Rob Kelly, 2015)
Overthinking as a Benefit
Overthinking is not always a disadvantage and does not always create problems. If, for example, you wish to be a highly successful accountant, then you are most likely going to need a highly analytical thinking style, one in which you check, re-check and check again to ensure that you have detailed every single transaction. In this respect it provides you with an advantage that somebody who worries less about the detail would not benefit from.
Overthinking as a Problem
If, on the other hand, you have an overthinking style and spend most of your time thinking, in great detail, about every single thing that could possibly go wrong with your life, then your overthinking will almost certainly turn out to be a major disadvantage for you!
It is 100% possible to stop overthinking by following the Thrive Programme here with us in Wolverhampton, however, it is important to realise that overthinking is created by your core underlying belief that you NEED to exercise control in order to be ‘happy’ and this is almost always the actual reason WHY you are NOT as happy as you would like to be! Focusing all of your time and effort on trying to be in control is symptomatic of people who are actually out of control!
Learn How to Thrive and Change Your Overthinking
If you want to learn the tools, techniques and coping skills to change your ‘overthinking’ style (or other thinking errors) into something more helpful, then why not get in touch with me (Paul) here at TranceForm.
You can arrange a FREE initial consultation below.
Watch this video to find out more abot Thrive.
FREE Initial Consultations for Overthinking Problems
We offer all prospective clients a FREE initial assessment to chat about overthinking problems and associated issues.
During this 50 minute consultation we will discuss the various options that are available to you and make a considered recommendation based on your individual personal circumstances.
At TranceForm we believe that therapy & coaching should be a collaboration between therapist and client so it’s very important to be able to meet PRIOR to agreeing any kind of help. Our policy is to help people make a fully balanced & considered decision about undertaking therapy with us, including both the financial and personal implications.
Other Thinking Errors
Overthinking problems may be made even worse by other thinking errors that people tend to ‘suffer’.
You can find out more about each of these ‘thinking errors’ by clicking on the links below:-
- Catastrophising – Making mountains out of molehills
- All or Nothing Thinking – Ignoring the middle-ground
- Fortune Telling – Trying to predict the future
- Mind Reading – I know what you’re thinking!
- Emotional Reasoning – Feelings aren’t facts
- Overgeneralising – Always, Never and Everybody
- Labelling – Successful / Failure
- Imperative Thinking – I need to, I have to and I must
- Confirmation Bias – He didn’t mean I was nice because I know I’m not
- Processing Positive Experiences – I didn’t really deserve that Prize
- Low Frustration Tolerance – It’s too hard I can’t stand it
- Personalisation – it’s always my fault when things go wrong
Contact Tranceform Psychology Wolverhampton
Don't hesitate to get in touch with us to find out how TranceForm could help you to achieve your goals and aspirations or overcome problems. We offer ALL prospective clients a FREE initial consultation to discuss all the options available to you.