Self Directed CBT Course
This page is all about our Tranceformental self-directed CBT course which has been designed for people wanting to overcome a wide range of mental health problems and who prefer not to see a therapist face-to-face.
It is, in essence, identical to the 10 session course of Tranceformental CBT that we offer our clients here in the West Midlands (UK) with the single exception that it does not involve any direct face-to-face contact with a psychotherapist.
Because of this, we are able to offer this self-directed CBT course for just £99 compared to the normal, in-clinic cost of £795.
You can visit the home page of the online Tranceformental Self-Directed CBT course here (This course runs on its own dedicated website).
Written by an Expert Psychologist
The entire 10 session course has been written by Paul Lee, managing director of Tranceform Ltd. and a Masters level Psychologist with over 30 years experience within the field of human development and applied psychology.
What makes this form of CBT so effective is a combination of the latest research and understandings associated with Self-Determination Theory, Social Psychological Theory and Social Constructionism, particular in regard to the social construction of mental health problems.
Does Self-Directed CBT Work?
Research strongly supports self-directed CBT and, when combined with the knowledge that over 30% of the outcome of psychotherapy is determined by the client themselves (regardless of the method of therapy or the skill of the therapist), indicates that it is a highly effective approach for many people suffering mental health difficulties.
What Does the Course Cover?
The course covers pretty much everything that you need to know in order to facilitate personal change.
Click onto any of the boxes below to see what each module in the course contains.
Module One - The Nature of Change in Psychotherapy
Module ONE addresses the very latest research and knowledge about the nature of personal change within the process of ‘psychotherapy’ and focuses on:
- What You Believe TODAY.
- Therapy Outcomes.
- Therapy Effectiveness.
- “Lambert’s Pie”.
- Motivation and Effort.
Module Two - Beliefs, Values and Worldviews
Module TWO delves into our beliefs and how they can influence the way that we ‘make sense’ of the World around us and how we percieve what happens in that World, including:
- The Genesis of Beliefs.
- Challenging the Evidence of Our Beliefs.
- Inherited Versus Created Beliefs.
- The Unique Character of Our Own Worldviews.
- Events DON’T CAUSE Feelings!
- The Trap of Conformation Bias.
- The Underlying Coherence of Beliefs.
- The Three Key Sets of Beliefs that Modify Our Experiences.
Module Three - Autonomy and Control
Module THREE addresses one of the three primary belief ‘systems’ that can affect our perception of reality with a specific focus on what makes us ‘autonomous’ and how we understand the level of ‘control’ we have over our ‘life trajectory’.
- The Locus of Control.
- Sub-domains within the Locus of Control.
- Social and Cultural Influences.
- The Past, Present and Future as Mental Constructions.
- The Desire for Control.
- Responsibility and Blame.
- Developing Agency.
Module Four - The Self and Identities
Module FOUR addresses our Self-Esteem, where it comes from and how it plays a role in the way that we feel. Sub-sections of this module deal with:
- What is Self-Esteem?
- The Origins of Self-Esteem.
- Our ‘Internal’ Dialogue.
- True and False Identities.
- How to Boost Your Self-Esteem.
- Breaking the Rules and Ditching the Past.
- Processing Your Achievements.
- Developing Greater Agency.
Module Five - The Social Domain & Social Beliefs
Module FIVE considers the impact of our beliefs which are related to the ‘social context’ in which we exist and includes consideration of the following concepts:
- The Social World.
- The Social Construction of Mental Illness.
- The Process of Socialisation.
- Social Pressures.
- External Validation.
- Collusion and Significant ‘Others’.
- Taking Emotional Responsibility.
- Developing Social Agency.
Module Six - Safety Behaviours and Thinking Traps
Module SIX discusses both Safety Behaviours (the strategies that we employ which are designed to keep us ‘safe’) as well as the common Thinking Traps that people can fall into when trying to cope with adversity in life.
The Module includes work on:
- Physiological and Psychological Safety Behaviours.
- Coping by Surrendering, Avoiding or Over-compensating.
- Thinking Traps and Unhelpful Thinking Styles.
- Polarised Thinking.
- Emotional Reasoning.
- Filtering and Magnifying.
- Labelling and Categorising.
The module also provides tools and techniques for dealing with each of these ‘maladaptive’ coping mechanisms.
Module Seven - Language and Linguistics
Module SEVEN delves into the nature of language and how the words that we use can have a profound impact on both how we feel as well as how we form perceptions about our experiences.
- Language as the ‘Code’ of Reality.
- Words Produce Feelings.
- Cognitive Fusion.
- Deletion, Generalisation and Distortion.
- Negative and Catastrophic Language.
- Mediated Language (Language in the Media).
Module Eight - Anxiety, Depression and Stress
Module EIGHT gets into the ‘nitty gritty’ of the THREE most common expressions of mental distress and how what you have learnt in the course so far can be applied to each of them.
The module discusses:
- The Effects of Time.
- Types of Danger
- The Biology of Anxiety
- The Role of Perception
- Appropriate Anxiety
- Anticipatory Anxiety
- Likelihood, Probability & Consequences
- Tackling Anxiety
- Diagnosis & Medication
- Maintaining Factors
- Dealing with Depression
- Boost Self-Esteem
- Become More Internal
- Take Responsibility for Your Emotions
- Quit Ruminating
- Manage Sleep
- Activity Monitoring & Scheduling
- Understanding Stress
- Threat Perception & Power
- Workplace Stress
- Coping & Resilience
Module Nine - More Tools for Making Changes
Module NINE provides more tools and techniques that you can use to tackle your specific problems, including:
- The Fundamental of Making Changes.
- What you Should Be Doing Already.
- Carrying-Out Behavioural Experiments.
- Tip for Successful Experiments.
- The Downward Arrow Process.
- Objective Inversion.
- Controlling the Controllable.
- Stepping Outside fo Your Comfort Zone.
Module Ten - Consolidating Your Improvements
Module TEN is designed to help you to sustain any of the changes that you have made. It provides tools, tips and advice so that you can continue to make personal improvements as an ongoing project including:
- Re-assessing Your Core Beliefs.
- Sustaining Changes.
- It’s All About the Journey, NOT the Destination.
- Towards What You Want OR Away From What You Don’t Want?
- ‘Needs’ Versus ‘Wants’.
- Goal Setting
The course includes:
- 16 weeks access to the entire course (it can normally be completed in 6 to 10 weeks).
- A separate, downloadable course workbook designed to help you make practical and behavioural changes to bring the knowledge in the programme “to life”.
- A copy of Paul’s book, “The Restrictive Realities of Belief” as a 307-page PDF download.
- All for the one-off cost of just £99!
What If I Need Face-to-Face Support?
Although this course has been devised to be taken without the need for face-to-face work, we do offer the option of buying support sessions, either in the clinic in the UK or using the ZOOM video platform.
Additional support sessions can be either pre-purchased along with the self-directed course (at a lower than ‘normal’ cost) or purchased later-on whenever needed.
We’re here if you need us either way!
Self-directed CBT course – £99
Self-directed CBT course with 2 X 1 hour support sessions – £239
Self-directed CBT course with 4 X 1 hour support sessions – £339
Once you have paid for your course you will be e-mailed details of how to REGISTER and LOG-ON to the course website and also to arrange any support sessions dates.
You can visit the checkout pages for any of these variants below.
You can view the stand-alone version of our self-help CBT programme on the checkout page by clicking on the image below.
You can view the self-help CBT programme with 2 support sessions version on the checkout page by clicking on the image below.
You can view the self-help CBT programme with 4 support sessions on the checkout page by clicking on the image below.
Buy Our Self-Help CBT Course
Tranceformental CBT is now available as a self-help (therapist-free) online course.
The course teaches you everything that you need to know to overcome a wide range of mental health problems and phobias and follows exactly the same procedures and uses the same materials as our in-clinic programme (costing £795) but because there is no direct engagement with a therapist is available for ONLY £99.
This course includes:
16 weeks access to the online portal.
10 in-depth modules.
A separate, down-loadable practical workbook.
Options to add Face-to-Face or Zoom support sessions if desired.
All for just £99!
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is a proven, evidence-based form of mental health counselling for developing a fundamental understanding of the dynamics of your problem, but also for learning new coping skills and strategies for sustainable change over your life.
You can purchase a course of Tranceformental CBT in our shop by clicking on the image below.
Tranceformental CBT is available On-line as well as a one-to-one format in the clinic.
Visit Online Counselling for more details.