Labelling Thinking Errors
Mental Health Counselling for Labelling Thinking Errors – Available in Wolverhampton and Online
Human beings tend to have a habit of ‘labelling’ people or things in a way that is very general and not very useful. For example, people who have low self-esteem may label themselves as ‘useless’, ‘worthless’ or ‘inadequate’.
If you label somebody as ‘useless’ or ‘no good’ then it becomes very easy to lose your temper with them. If you label the World as ‘unfair’ or ‘unjust’ then you are making a simple judgement about something highly complex that is just not accurate.
Other example of labelling include:
- You read a newspaper article about the rise in crime in your local town which activates your belief that you really do live in ‘crime-town’ which contributes to you feeling anxious and stressed.
- You receive a low mark in an exam and despite previous high marks, decide to label your self as ‘a failure’.
- You get angry when you get cut-up by an other road user. You label him as a ‘lunatic’ who should be banned from driving and making you angry.
How to Avoid Labelling
Learn to accept that people and situations are complex and happen for a massive variety of different reasons rather than that certain people are ‘idiots’ or ‘lunatics’.
- Is your local town really such a no-go area, or is it more realistic to say that there are some areas where crime is higher than others, but on the whole a pretty safe town?
- During your lifetime you will encounter thousands of unique and infinitely variable human beings, each with their own beliefs and strategies. Does it really make sense to label people into such small groups according to what YOU believe?
Learn to appreciate complexity and variety and stop trying to define things with such generalised labels.
Transform Your Thinking & Stop Labelling Errors
Tranceformental CBT is available as Online Therapy if required
The Tranceformental programme is a highly successful & pragmatic psychological training course, run over 10 sessions, that will teach you everything you need to know to understand your problem, identify how unhelpful thinking and limiting beliefs might be reinforcing the issue, and then show you how to make any changes to your unhelpful thinking styles or maladaptive safety behaviours that you may have developed as part of your coping strategies.
Our Tranceformental CBT programme is an evidence-based, research supported approach used by mental health practitioners around the World.
Initial Consultations for Labelling Thinking Errors
We offer all prospective clients an initial consultation to discuss your labelling thinking errors prior to commencing any treatment plans.
The consultation is free and last around 50 minutes
Why not drop us an e-mail to find out if we can help before arranging your initial assessment or, if you prefer, leave us a message on our Facebook page: facebook.com/tranceformational/ and we’ll get back to you to arrange a mutual date and time.
During this consultation we will discuss the various options that are available to you and make a considered recommendation based on your individual personal circumstances.
Initial consultations are also available as part of our online therapy service.
At TranceForm Psychology we recognise the importance of the therapeutic relationship in helping people to bring about effective change, so its important to be able to ‘meet’ to discuss our change programmes BEFORE proceeding.
Our policy is to help people make a fully balanced & considered decision about undertaking work with us, including both the financial and personal implications.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is a proven, evidence-based form of mental health counselling for developing a fundamental understanding of the dynamics of your problem, but also for learning new coping skills and strategies for sustainable change over your life.
The full course costs £795 which you can pay for on our fees page.
Tranceformental CBT is available On-line as well as a one-to-one format in the clinic.
Visit Online Counselling for more details.
Contact Joan Lee D. Hyp.
I specialise in the following therapies:
I also offer a complete programme which combines mindfulness, mediation and hypnotherapy
Call Joan on: 07434 776504