Erectile Dysfunction Counselling Wolverhampton
Psychological Therapy for Erectile Dysfunction and ED
Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is the “medicalised” term for what was more commonly known as impotence in past years. It is a Sexual problem in which men find it difficult to achieve or sustain an erection.
It is an extremely common problem and can affect both young and older men.
Erectile Dysfunction can have a deeply psychological impact for the sufferer often leading to feelings of inadequacy and the production of very low self esteem.
What can cause Erectile Dysfunction?
The causes of Erectile Dysfunction are known to include both physical and psychological problems.
Can Erectile Dysfunction be treated?
For lots of Men, Erectile Dysfunction issues can simply disappear over time, but if left “untreated” the problem can become something more deeply “embedded”.
It is important to rule out any potential PHYSIOLOGICAL causes and in the first instance you should consider seeking the advice of your GP who should be able to determine if it is due to a medical problem, in which case it can usually be treated with the appropriate drug.
On the other hand, If it turns out that the problem is psychological then we can almost certainly help you using one of our interventions which you can read more about below.
We understand that it can be difficult to talk about this problem, so please be assured that your conversation with us will be private and confidential.
Can I Help Myself to Overcome Erectile Dysfunction?
There are certainly a number of things that you can do to reduce the occurrence of Erectile Dysfunction, most of which are related to your life-style:
- Consider Stopping Smoking – Research shows that the chemicals in Cigarettes can affect the blood supply which supply the Penis making is physically more difficult to get an erection
- Make improvements to your diet or lose weight – The healthier your diet, the healthier your body and the healthier will be your sexual life. Try to ensure that your food includes all the essential components of Vegetables and Proteins.
- Take more exercise & reduce your stress levels – Become more active, get fit and you will find that not only does your general level of stress reduce, but your heart will become healthier leading naturally to better erections.
- De-stress – Anxiety and stress caused by pressure at work, money problems or poor sleep can all have an impact on your performance.
- Cut your Alcohol intake – If your are drinking more than 3 units per day you ability to have an erection will almost certainly be adversely affected. “Dutch Courage” will definitely not help you in the bedroom department. Alcohol Abuse & Drinking Problems will almost certainly directly impact on your sex life.
Erectile Dysfunction Counselling
The limiting beliefs associated with Erectile Dysfunction may have been created by an actual negative experience that has now been “blown out of proportion” or indeed may be the result of “imagined experiences” which can lead to the same outcome – the experience of Anxiety related symptoms.
If we can learn how to manage these limiting beliefs or cognitive distortions using the tools and techniques contained in therapies such as the Cognitive Behavioural Therapy programme, then we can also learn how to control the emotional experiences that we have – ie. manage the symptoms.
It is also possible that people suffering from Erectile Dysfunction may have some other emotional or childhood trauma problems that are indirectly related to the problem itself but still create Anxiety and Stress which make the symptoms worse.
In these cases, as it is may be more difficult to identify the distorted thinking or limiting beliefs associated with Erectile Dysfunction itself and therefore following a course of Psycho-dynamic Therapy may be more beneficial.
FREE Initial Consultations for Erectile Dysfunction
We offer all prospective clients a FREE initial assessment to chat about your erectile dysfunction problems. During this 50 minute consultation we will discuss the various options that are available to you and make a considered recommendation based on your individual personal circumstances.
At TranceForm we believe that therapy & counselling should be a collaboration between therapist and client so it’s very important to be able to meet PRIOR to agreeing any kind of help. Our policy is to help people make a fully balanced & considered decision about undertaking therapy with us, including both the financial and personal implications.
For most mental health issues we recommend following our 10 session Tranceformental CBT Programme (an advanced version of empirically established Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) to overcome a wide range of mental health and behavioural problems.
CBT is a proven, evidence-based form of therapy for developing a fundamental level of understanding into the dynamics of your problem, but also for learning new coping skills and strategies for sustainable change over your life.
Tranceformental CBT is available On-line as well as a one-to-one format in the clinic.
Visit Online Counselling for more details.