Labelling Thinking Errors
Overcoming Labelling Thinking Problems in Wolverhampton
Human beings tend to have a habit of ‘labelling’ people or things in a way that is very general and not very useful. For example, people who have low self-esteem may label themselves as ‘useless’, ‘worthless’ or ‘inadequate’.
If you label somebody as ‘useless’ or ‘no good’ then it becomes very easy to lose your temper with them. If you label the World as ‘unfair’ or ‘unjust’ then you are making a simple judgement about something highly complex that is just not accurate.
Other example of labelling include:
- You read a newspaper article about the rise in crime in your local town which activates your belief that you really do live in ‘crime-town’ which contributes to you feeling anxious and stressed.
- You receive a low mark in an exam and despite previous high marks, decide to label your self as ‘a failure’.
- You get angry when you get cut-up by an other road user. You label him as a ‘lunatic’ who should be banned from driving and making you angry.
How to Avoid Labelling
Learn to accept that people and situations are complex and happen for a massive variety of different reasons rather than that certain people are ‘idiots’ or ‘lunatics’.
- Is your local town really such a no-go area, or is it more realistic to say that there are some areas where crime is higher than others, but on the whole a pretty safe town?
- During your lifetime you will encounter thousands of unique and infinitely variable human beings, each with their own beliefs and strategies. Does it really make sense to label people into such small groups according to what YOU believe?
Learn to appreciate complexity and variety and stop trying to define things with such generalised labels.
Transform Your Beliefs & Stop Labelling
If you’re committed to overcoming your labelling thinking problems then we highly recommend following either the Thrive Programme with Paul, or the Changing Limiting Beliefs (CLB) Programme with Joan.
Both the Thrive Programme and Changing Limiting Beliefs are highly successful & pragmatic psychological training programmes, run over 10 sessions, that will teach you everything you need to know to understand your problem and then make any changes to your unhelpful thinking styles or maladaptive safety behaviours that you may have developed as part of your coping strategies.
FREE Initial Consultations for Labelling Thinking Errors
We offer all prospective clients a FREE initial assessment to chat about your labelling thinking errors. During this 50 minute consultation we will discuss the various options that are available to you and make a considered recommendation based on your individual personal circumstances.
At TranceForm we believe that therapy & coaching should be a collaboration between therapist and client so it’s very important to be able to meet PRIOR to agreeing any kind of help. Our policy is to help people make a fully balanced & considered decision about undertaking therapy with us, including both the financial and personal implications.
Get In Touch With Us....
Don't hesitate to get in touch with us to find out how Tranceform could help you to achieve your goals and aspirations or overcome problems. We offer ALL prospective clients a FREE initial consultation to discuss all the options available to you.