The Thrive Programme in Wolverhampton
The Thrive Programme in Wolverhampton, West Midlands
The Thrive Programme is a highly effective multi-session ‘training course’ that will not only help you to see things in a radically different way, but will also give you the ‘power’, motivation and knowledge to live your life more fully without unnecessary limitations.
Paul is a licensed Thrive Consultant® and has been offering the programme since 2011 when it evolved out of the Changing Limiting Beliefs programme.
To date (2018) the Thrive Programme has been successfully applied to a very wide range of problems wherever self-imposed limits and “limiting beliefs” play a central role in both creating and keeping problems “alive”.
But it has also helped people to achieve all sorts of personal goals and aspirations and so might also be considered as a highly effective personal improvement programme, indeed, Tranceform have been successfully using the programme to help senior managers to learn new ways of coping with work-related stress at the NHS clinical commissioning group in Sandwell and West Birmingham.
What is the Thrive Programme?
The Thrive is a programme for Changing Limiting Beliefs where a belief is any set of values or perceptual models that help us make sense of the ‘real world’ around us, what is known as perceptual constructivism.
Limiting Beliefs are those specific beliefs that might seem to make sense, but actually limit a person’s ability to get on with life, in the Thrive Programme these are called ‘core’ limiting beliefs and include the Locus of Control, Self Esteem and Social Pressure (or sometimes also known as Social Anxiety Disorder).
In the main, it’s a training programme that teaches people how to overcome their problems, symptoms, health-issues and other hurdles in their lives, by managing their thoughts, beliefs, emotions and Unhelpful Thinking Styles (including any ‘safety behaviours‘)more effectively.
The Thrive Programme Formulation
A ‘formulation’, is a scientific or psychological explanation – a formula – that describes how a certain process works.
It is useful for us to have a formula for Changing Limiting Beliefs, for two reasons:
- It helps us, the Thrive Programme Consultants, to keep our efforts focused on what is going to help you our clients to achieve your particular goals.
- It will help us to gain more credibility and acceptance for The Thrive Programme in the wider psychological community.
Research shows that most – if not all – illnesses, anxieties, depressive disorders, habits, phobias, fears, immune system issues etc. have a cognitive (or thinking) component to them.
That is to say that the severity of the distress caused by the illness or symptom, the depth of anguish and pain or discomfort experienced by the sufferer, and even the actual illness or symptom itself, may be caused, prolonged or made worse by the way the sufferer thinks and feels about it.
The Thrive Programme Methodology
Research also shows us that people will only invest their energy, time and commitment to achieving a goal – any goal – once they BELIEVE that their efforts will be successful.
The Thrive programme is a process that allows a person – through guided self-awareness exercises – to understand that they CAN overcome their problems, symptoms, health-issues and other hurdles, by recognising how their own thoughts and beliefs were either causing or contributing to the problems in the first place.
Once a person can clearly identify that their problems are caused (or contributed-to) by them not managing their thinking very well, and they are shown some simple, understandable and predictable techniques that they can use to change their limiting beliefs, they will put in massive and determined effort to achieve their goals because they believe they will be successful.
The above formulation is very similar to a number of other formulas – namely that of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy or CBT.
The main difference between the Thrive programme and CBT, is THRIVE’s huge emphasis on the person KNOWING and UNDERSTANDING how their mind and body interact rather than the more common CBT practice of providing a range of cognitive tools for which the relevance can sometime be a bit mystifying:
As a result Thrive tends to spend much more time dedicated to a greater understanding of the most appropriate tools and techniques, including:
- How your cognitive processes work and influence the way you feel
- How your belief systems are formed, either as early ‘learned behaviours’ or as ‘evidence-based constructions’
- How your particular thinking styles may be perpetuating your symptoms and behaviours
- How your three main limiting belief systems hold you back in life
- Why your sense of power or control over external events has such a big impact upon you!
In short: when a person can fully comprehend how they created a problem, they can “un-create” it.
It is because people following the Thrive programme are helped to attain this high degree of self-awareness, that they are able to clearly see what they need to do in order to ‘get better’, and why they are then also willing to put in as much effort as is required.
Stages in the Thrive Programme
The following is “typical” schedule for the programme but here at Tranceform Psychology I will always tailor it so that it is delivered at a pace consistent with each individual client’s ability to assimilate the programme.
- Stage 1 – A Question of Belief – how do belief systems impact your ‘reality’
- Stage 2 – Psychological Foundations – where they came from and what you can do about it
- Stage 3 – How powerful you feel and understanding your own Locus of Control
- Stage 4 – How you feel about and internalise your own self-perception, including how you ‘talk’ to yourself
- Stage 5 – How you manage yourself in social contexts and worry about the judgement of other people
- Stage 6 – The Unhelpful Thinking Styles and how they impact upon your specific problem
- Stage 7 – Mind Your Language – the importance of linguistic constructions on emotional experiences
- Stage 8 – Anxiety & Stress and how they may perpetuate symptomology
- Stage 9 – Thriving and how to keep ‘doing Thrive’ once the sessions are complete
- Stage 10 – Review and the future for you
FREE Initial Consultations for the Thrive Programme
We offer all prospective clients a FREE initial assessment to chat about the Thrive Programme and how it might be the right solution for you.
At TranceForm we believe that therapy & counselling should be a collaboration between therapist and client so it’s very important to be able to meet PRIOR to agreeing any kind of help. Our policy is to help people make a fully balanced & considered decision about undertaking work with us, including both the financial and personal implications.