Control Issues at Work
Control (lack of) of one’s job is a cause of work related stress
Control within the management standards is defined as:
‘How much say the person has in the way they do their work’.
The standard is that:
Employees indicate that they are able to have a say about the way they do their work and that the appropriate systems are in place locally to respond to any individual concerns.
Meeting the Standards Means That:
- Where possible, employees have control over their pace of work
- Employees are encouraged to use their skills and initiative to do their work
- Where possible, employees are encouraged to develop new skills to help them undertake new and challenging pieces of work
- The organisation encourages employees to develop their skills
- Employees have a say over when breaks can be taken
- Employees are consulted over their work patterns
When the employees ability to have any influence over how their job is performed is minimal, and they are essentially simply required to ‘do as they are told’, then there is an increased chance that work related stress may occur due to the task being regarded as menial.
Management Standards Consulting
If you would like some help implementing the HSE Management Standards in your business then TranceForm Psychology Business Services can help.
We offer multi-disciplinary expert help through our core delivery team, including expertise in:
- Corporate Governance - Paul has held senior directorships in local SME's as well as a BSc honours degree in psychology and social psychology
- NEBOSH NGC Level 3 Occupational Health & Safety certification (Paul)
- PhD. Level counselling psychology certification - Dr. Somal plays a central role in programme development
We are able to undertake risk assessments for work related stress as well as make a general gap-analysis of where your company 'is' in terms of internal structures, policies and deployment of the standards defined by the HSE.
- Work Related Stress Risk Assessments
- Stress Policy Development
- Management Standards Gap-analysis and report creation
- Stress Awareness training
- Stress Management Training (Thriving at Work)
- Employee Assistance Packages
- Counselling services
If you'd like to find out more, or arrange for any of our mental health at work services, the please contacts us by:
Office: 01902 897286 (We use BT 'truecall' so please do leave us a message)